I recently added a Probiotic to my fairly extensive supplement routine just to see what difference, if any, it made. To be honest I can't remember what it is that triggered this but I assume I came across more research linking gut health to overall health and, as I do, decided to give it a go!
What do they do?
Probiotics are another tool in ensuring good gut health which as we know is so incredibly important. Microbes in the lower intestinal tract help us to digest food, fight harmful bacteria and regulate the immune system. An imbalance of these microbes can lead to diarrhoea and other health problems. And we really don't want those do we?!
And that's where probiotics come in. When the gut becomes unbalanced with unhealthy levels of certain bacteria, probiotics help restore the balance.
Browsing round the net, I found plenty of posts and articles on probiotics:
- Probiotics help balance the friendly bacteria in your digestive system
- Probiotics can help prevent and treat diarrhoea
- Probiotic supplements improve some mental health conditions (according to some studies which found that supplementing with Bifidobacterium & Lactobacillus strains for 1-2 months can improve anxiety, depression, autism, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and memory
- Certain probiotic strains can help keep your heart healthy (by lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol and blood pressure)
- Probiotics can help reduce symptoms of certain digestive orders (sadly there is little effect on symptoms of Crohns disease but they may help the symptoms of bowel disorders like ulcerative colitis, IBS and necrotizing entercolitis)
- Probiotics may help boost your immune system (by promoting the production of natural antibodies in the body)
So if like me you're starting to think that maybe a probiotic could be a good addition to your supplement routine then here's what you need to know about Active Pro-B.
This probiotic provides over 8 million CFU from 6 synergistic bacteria strains (CFU stands for colony forming units and it's how we know that probiotic bacteria are alive and active). It's a balanced probiotic blend that utilises strains that are clinically proven to survive throughout the GI tract for optimal delivery to the intestine. This bit is really important as if it doesn't reach the place it needs to then even though you're actually taking a probiotic it's doing you no good if it can't survive the arduous journey to the intestines.
- supports intestinal flora balance
- promotes nutrient absorption
- supports digestive health
Good bacteria strains include:
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus 190 70-2
- Lactobacillus reuteri 12246
They also contain a prebiotic fibre to nourish the good bacteria found in the intestines. These prebiotic fibres help support probiotics during storage, transportation and delivery.
Forever Active Pro-B is manufactured using cryo technology and is taken to a deep state of dormency to be activated in the digestive tract.
Each vegetarian capsule is made from plant cellulose and is opaque to protect probiotic strains. These capsules are then packaged in activ-vial technology, the latest in engineering designed to maximise shelf life. This moisture proof, spill proof vial contains and engineered sleeve to control moisture absorption and ensure maximum CFU delivery.
Forever Active Pro-B uses the latest clinical research, manufacturing and packaging technology to ensure you receive maximum benefits to support nutrient absorption and your digestive health.
There seems to be plenty of research to suggest a good probiotic can be beneficial to your health and Forever's Active Pro-B is the usual mix of latest research and focus on bioavailability that I expect so this is the one I added to my routine. I was pleasantly surprised to notice a difference in the way I felt and my overall wellbeing and energy levels. I can't link it to any one specific thing but I am always happy with any positive benefits giving the health challenge I continue to face. Given the overwhelming amount of research that's coming out just how much of our body is affected by gut health I'm really not surprised so now Aloe gel and Active Pro-B are my gut-busting duo to ensure that my gut health is tip top!